At the risk of going a bit ‘listy’.
I was listening to ‘The Last Goodbye’ by Jeff Buckley the other day and as ever, particularly enjoyed the bit in the song where he sings “Did you say no, this cant happen to me” and it got me thinking, what the individual moments in songs that I like. So, I’m going to use this post to record them all as I think of them. I encourage my reader to add his too.
So here goes:
- “Did you say no, this can’t happen to me” – Last Goodbye – Jeff Buckley
- The very start of the first chorus – Long Distance, Turin Brakes
- The quiet bit just before “installed by the machine” (then the synths come up with an 80’s-tastic retro hit) – P-Machinery – Propaganda
- “it’s gonna be a glorious day.” – Lucky – Radiohead
- “Lick my legs of desire.” – Rid Of Me – PJ Harvey
- “You’re not alone” – Rock and Roll Suicide – David Bowie
- “Wap wap wap waaaahhhh!” – Henrietta – The Fratellis
- The key change just before the end – Good Thing – The Woodentops
- “And you could have it all, my empire of dirt” – Hurt – the Johnny Cash version
- When the bass joins in – Two Tribes – Frankie Goes to Hollywood
- Right at the end of the choral bit – America, What Time is Love – The KLF
- “Waiting my whole life for just one…Day….” – Add It Up – The Violent Femmes
I can hear Stuart scoffing now…
P J Harvey is good to listen to if you’re angry, though I’d rather not think of licking legs of desire as I’m not getting any just now, Grrrr!
The bell sound in ‘Atmosphere’, that’s the one for me.